Robert R. Simpson
Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
100 Pearl Street
Hartford, CT 06103
Boston University B.A.
• Case Western Reserve University School of Law J.D., 1993
• American Board of Trial Advocates: National Board of Directors Member
• American Bar Association: Council Member, Section of Litigation; Division Director, 2010-2012; Co-Director of Division V - Substantive Areas of Litigation Committee; Co-Chair, Corporate Counsel Committee, Section of Litigation, 2006-2009; Co-Chair, Section Annual Conference, 2010, Section of Litigation; Managing Co-Director, Section of Litigation, 2010-present; Advisory Committee, Section of Litigation, 2009; Advanced Planning Leadership Facilitation
• National Bar Association: Immediate Past Chair, Commercial Law Section (Section of the year, 2014); General Counsel; Treasurer, Commercial Law Section; Chair, Corporate Recruitment Committee
• Connecticut Bar Association: Federal Judiciary Committee Member; House of Delegates; Executive Committee, Litigation Section
• Hartford County Bar Association: Board of Directors
• Connecticut Hispanic Bar Association, Member
• George W. Crawford Black Bar Association, Advisory Board Member
• Commission on Civil Court Alternative Dispute Resolution, Member, Appointed by Chief Justice Rogers
Robert Simpson is an experienced litigation and trial lawyer and represents clients in state and federal courts throughout the country. He focuses on products liability litigation, with an emphasis on drug and medical device litigation, as well as toxic tort, employment and commercial disputes. His litigation practice has included multi-district litigation, class actions, mass torts and claims for unfair competition and false advertising.
Robert has been first or second chair trial counsel in more than twenty-five cases that have gone to trial. For the last five years he has served as lead trial counsel and national coordinating counsel for several significant medical device and pharmaceutical product company liability cases related to hip implants, pelvic mesh, NSAID and atypical antipsychotic medication litigation. In these high profile cases, Robert has managed all stages of pre-trial proceedings, taken and defended numerous expert and company witness depositions throughout the United States and Europe and has briefed and conducted Daubert and Frye challenges.
Robert serves as a member of the National Board of Directors of the American Board of Trial Advocates and a trial instructor for NITA and the ABA. He frequently gives presentations on e-discovery, the use of technology in the courtroom, deposition techniques and litigation management. He has held top leadership positions in the American Bar Association Litigation Section, the National Bar Association and the Connecticut Bar Association.